Basic Grammar and Writing Skills for Business
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations below for our most popular combinations.
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations in the right column for our most popular combinations.
The ability to write quickly and clearly is crucial for business success.
Even minor errors in grammar, usage, and punctuation distract readers from your ideas and interfere with their reception of your work. This course combines a complete review of English grammar and usage with a solid grounding in the best practices for clear, well-organized business writing.
- Learn the essential skills in both grammar and writing
- Write practice documents your instructor comments on
- Receive coaching in your writing and grammar
- Learn how to write confidently
- Learn best practices for organizing and structuring
- Learn to write concise, clear sentences
- Take pre- and post-tests to know how you’re doing
The first half of this course trains you in the best practices for writing email, memos, letters, reports, and other business documents. The second half teaches correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, vocabulary, and sentence structure. If you have some usage problems, this course will give you the necessary guidance to make your business writing clear, correct, and effective.
When You Complete This Course...
- You will be able to write clear, well-organized business documents your readers will easily understand.
- You will be able to avoid the easily corrected errors that can make you look ill-prepared.
- You will write more quickly and confidently because you are better prepared for success.
How It Works
When you enroll, we give you access to all the online lessons and training materials. Each lesson builds on the lessons that precede it. We offer clear explanations for every part of our training and plenty of real-world examples of how to apply the skills you are learning.
Set Your Own Pace
You go at your own pace and submit assignments when you are ready. You don’t have to be online with other students or perform activities at specific times.
Your instructor evaluates all your work, coaches you through learning the skills, and gives you personalized feedback on what you are doing well and what still needs polish. You can contact your instructor at any time if you have questions about your training, business writing, or the English language.
When you finish the course within four months, you receive a graduation certificate.
Part 1: Writing Training
- How to use a standard letter format.
- How to use a standard memo format.
- Prepare notes for your email, memo, letter, or report.
- Organize the notes you have prepared.
- For emails and memos, always write a clear, meaningful subject line.
- For letters, use a "Subject" or "Re" line if your company customarily uses it.
- Write a clear, complete introduction.
- For emails, letters, and memos, write a cordial beginning or buffer.
- State the contents of the email, letter, or memo.
- Keep explanations of a subject together in one block.
- Check each block for focus.
- Check each block for completeness.
- Open each block with a statement of the contents.
- Use headings to open blocks.
- Bold field or data names to identify them as blocks.
- Practice writing the thesis, generalizations, and headings.
- Create lists.
- Open list blocks.
- Mark the list items clearly.
- Keep list items in a single list.
- Keep list items in the same format.
- Use information blueprinting to be explicit.
- Use key words consistently.
- Use full phrases to define words clearly.
- Use paragraphs to organize information.
- Write concisely.
- Combine sentences to show relationships and use short sentences to be clear.
- Write clear, simple, straightforward sentences.
- Write strong, direct sentences.
- Use words the reader will understand.
- Use your spell checker and grammar checker.
- Format the email to be readable.