Business Writing Skills
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations below for our most popular combinations.
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations in the right column for our most popular combinations.
What does your business writing say about you?
What does it say about your readiness for career advancement? Every word you write tells your readers who you are. This course will help you send the right message to supervisors, colleagues, and clients.
You have the drive and talent to succeed in your work. Now get the guidance you need to let your writing reflect your abilities. Improve your writing and communication skills to make a good impression on everyone you reach.
- Learn to write clear, concise business documents
- Learn the best practices in business writing
- Four full-document writing evaluations and 12 activities with comments and coaching
- Learn the important skills for writing with impact
- Learn how to guide readers through your message
- Learn to write so clearly you cannot be misunderstood
- Learn to choose the correct business vocabulary
The Business Writing Skills course teaches the best practices professionals must master to write clear, effective, professional business documents, including email, memos, letters, and reports. We use a structured approach that makes writing easier, ensures your writing is clear and professional, and guides your readers through your content.
When You Complete This Course...
- You will be able to write clear, well-organized business documents your readers will easily understand.
- You will know how to find the right balance between too much and too little in your business documents and between too casual and overly formal writing.
- You will be able to avoid the easily corrected errors that can make you look ill-prepared.
- You will understand the best practices for writing the most common business documents.
How It Works
When you enroll, we give you access to all the online lessons and training materials. Each lesson builds on the lessons that precede it. We offer clear explanations for every part of our training and plenty of real-world examples of how to apply the skills you are learning.
Set Your Own Pace
You go at your own pace and submit assignments when you are ready. You don’t have to be online with other students or perform activities at specific times.
Your instructor evaluates all your work, coaches you through learning the skills, and gives you personalized feedback on what you are doing well and what still needs polish. You can contact your instructor at any time if you have questions about your training, business writing, or the English language.
When you finish the course within four months, you receive a graduation certificate.
- Follow email protocol.
- Set goals for any given piece of writing.
- Choose strategies based on your goals and your expected readers.
- Learn how to overcome writer's block.
- Prepare notes for your email, memo, letter, or report before you write.
- Have an organizational pattern in mind.
- Use special organizational patterns for some messages.
- For emails and memos, always begin with a clear, meaningful subject line.
- Write a clear, complete introduction.
- For emails, letters, and memos, write a cordial beginning or buffer.
- Give the reader an idea of the contents before you start.
- For reports, state conclusions and recommendations in the introduction.
- Write the explanations in blocks.
- Check each block for focus.
- Check each block for completeness.
- Use headings to open blocks.
- Create lists.
- Write to build conclusions in the reader's mind.
- For reports, write clear, complete, relevant explanations.
- Write a conclusion that achieves your goals.
- Use paragraphs to organize information.
- Write concisely.
- Write clear, simple, active-voice sentences.
- For reports, write clearly and simply for non-technical readers.
- Use words the reader will understand.
- Use your spell checker and grammar checker.
- Format the email to be readable.