Individualized Writing for Nonnative Speakers of English
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations below for our most popular combinations.
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations in the right column for our most popular combinations.
Do you speak English well but struggle with your writing?
When talking with friends and colleagues, little mistakes don't matter. In business writing, even small errors can confuse our readers, or even offend them despite our good intentions. Make sure your English doesn't let you down.
This course is tailored to teach you exactly what you need to learn most. We begin with an evaluation of your writing at the start of the course and determine areas you need to focus on. We create custom training just for you to fix the specific mistakes you are making, without wasting time on what you already know.
- A special course for nonnative speakers focusing on language, grammar, punctuation, spelling, word usage, and sentence structure
- Full assessment of your writing needs and coaching by your instructor
- Extensive comments on your writing with tutoring where you need it
- Teaching the skills you need and skills you don’t even realize you need
- Tailored assignments to give you the skills you need Improves your writing so people don’t have to proofread your work
- Improves your writing so people don’t have to proofread your work
Your instructor reads samples of your writing and finds errors in language, grammar, punctuation, spelling, word usage, and sentence structure. Your instructor explains how the text should be written and provides examples of proper usage. You take a timed quiz to make sure you have learned the material. We repeat this process three times as you continue to improve your writing skills. Your instructor coaches you through learning the skills and evaluates your learning as you progress through the course.
When You Complete This Course...
- You will understand the areas where you need to improve your English language and grammar.
- You will learn to avoid errors in language, grammar, spelling, punctuation, word usage, and sentence structure in your writing, including those you don’t know you have.
- You will know how to avoid the common mistakes in language and grammar that even native speakers make in their business writing.
How It Works
This is a tutorial course. We base our training on your specific needs. To start, you send writing samples to your instructor. Your instructor reads each sample to identify skills you need to learn, points out the problems, shows you how your text should be written, and provides any tutoring or coaching you need to learn how to write the sentences correctly.
Your instructor gives you links to training materials that teach you the skills you need, answers your questions, and shows you how to apply what you learn to your own writing. You will repeat this process as you continue to improve your writing skills to make sure you learn as many skills as we can teach you during the course.
You submit examples of your writing by email, and your instructor responds with personalized lessons that focus on what you need to improve. The training materials are online. You have access to all of them when you register.
Set Your Own Pace
You go at your own pace and submit assignments when you are ready. You don’t have to be online with other students or perform activities at specific times.
Your instructor evaluates all your activities and examinations, coaches you through learning the skills, and gives you personalized feedback on what you are doing well and what still needs polish. You can contact your instructor at any time if you have questions about your training, business writing, or the English language.
When you finish the course within four months, you will receive a graduation certificate.
You may purchase the textbook we use from a bookseller such as Amazon.com, but the textbook is not required for the course. You will also study online training materials.
This is a tutorial course. We teach you the skills you need to write correct and clear business documents. Your instructor finds mistakes in any of the following areas and coaches you through correcting them:
- Abbreviations • Adverbs • Affect-Effect • Apostrophes to Show Possession • Articles • Bolding • Capitalization • Colocations • Colloquialisms • Colons • Commas and Periods with Quotation Marks • Comma Overuse • Commas in a Series • Commas with "However," "Therefore," "Thus" • Commas with Coordinate Adjectives • Commas with Coordinating Conjunctions • Commas with Dates, States, Addresses, and Numbers • Commas with Introductory Elements • Commas with Nonrestrictive Appositives • Commas with Nonrestrictive Elements • Commas with Parenthetical Elements • Commonly Confused Word Pairs • Conciseness • Consistency • Contractions • Dangling and Misplaced Modifiers • Ellipses • Errors Unique to My Writing • Formatting • Fragment Sentences • Gerunds, Infinitives, and Participles • Hyphens and Dashes • Hyphens with Compound Adjectives • Hyphens with Numbers • Hyphens with Prefixes and Compound Words • Idioms and Word Usage • Inversions • Lists • Modal Auxiliary Verbs • Mood Shift • Number (Singular or Plural) • Numbers Format • Omitting Space or Inserting Too Much Space • Parallelism in Lists and Sentences • Parentheses • Passive Voice • Periods • Plurals • Prepositions • Pronoun Reference • Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement • Pronouns • Proofreading • Questions • Quotation Marks • Run-on Sentences • Run-ons Using "Therefore," "However" • Semicolons • Simple Sentence Structures • Simple Vocabulary • Slashes • Spelling • Subject/Verb Agreement • Tense Endings • Tense Shifts • Tense • "There," "Their," and "They're" • Using Case Correctly • Using Key Words • "Whom," "That," and "Which" • Word Choice • Word Omitted • Word Unnecessary • Wordiness • Wording Problems