Business Writing Skills Self-Study
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations below for our most popular combinations.
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations in the right column for our most popular combinations.
Business writing course teaching the best practices in writing
What does your business writing say about your readiness for career advancement? Every word you write tells your readers who you are. This business writing course will help you send the right message to supervisors, colleagues, and clients. You have the drive and talent to succeed in your work. Now get the guidance you need to let your business writing reflect your abilities. Improve your writing and communication skills to make a good impression on everyone you reach.
- Self-study teaching how to write clear business writing
- The essential training that teaches the best practices in business writing beyond a writing class
- Overcoming writer’s block, knowing how to start and finish the document
- The important skills for creating business writing with impact
- Learn to guide readers through your message
- Teaching how to write so clearly you cannot be misunderstood
The Business Writing Skills self-study course teaches the best practices professionals must master to write clear, effective, professional business writing, including email, memos, letters, and reports. We use a structured approach that will make the task of writing easier and guide your readers through your content. It contains more than is taught in a simple business writing class.
When You Complete This Course...
- You will be able to write clear, well-organized business writing your readers will easily understand.
- You will know how to find the right balance between too much and too little in correspondence and between too casual and overly formal writing.
- You will be able to avoid the easily corrected errors that can make you look ill-prepared.
- You will understand the best practices for producing the most common business writing.
How It Works
This is a self-study course. You work through your lessons on your own, without the aid of an instructor.
If you select the “Record Keeping” option, we track your progress and submit a report to your administrator upon completion of the course.
When you enroll, we give you access to all the online lessons and training materials. Each lesson builds on the lessons that precede it. We offer clear explanations for every part of our training and plenty of real-world examples of how to apply the skills you are learning.
Set Your Own Pace
You go at your own pace. You don’t have to be online with other students or perform activities at specific times.
- Use a standard letter format.
- Use a standard memo format.
- Choose strategies based on the goals and readers
- Prepare notes for your email, memo, letter, or report.
- Organize the notes.
- For emails and memos, always write a clear, meaningful subject line.
- For letters, use a “Subject” line if your company customarily uses it.
- Write a clear, complete introduction.
- For emails, letters, and memos, write a cordial beginning or buffer.
- State the contents of the document.
- Write the explanations in blocks.
- Keep explanations of a subject together in one block.
- Check each block for focus.
- Check each block for completeness.
- Open each block with a statement of the contents.
- Use headings to open blocks.
- Bold field or date names to identify them as blocks.
- Create lists.
- Open list blocks.
- Mark the list items clearly.
- Keep list items in a single list.
- Keep list items in the same format.
- Use information blueprinting to be explicit.
- Use key words consistently.
- Use full phrases to define words clearly.
- Use paragraphs to organize information.
- Write concisely.
- Combine sentences to show relationships. Separate sentences to make them clearer.
- Write clear, simple, straightforward sentences.
- Write strong, direct sentences.
- Use words the reader will understand.
- Use your spell checker and grammar checker.
- Format email to be readable.