Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations below for our most popular combinations.
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations in the right column for our most popular combinations.
How do you bridge the expertise gap?
One of the toughest challenges for any writer with expertise is explaining a complex subject to readers who don't have a technical background. You’ve made an effort to acquire the knowledge that qualifies you for your job, but now you must adjust what you know to explain it all to a reader who won’t understand the technical explanations that come naturally to you. You also may need to tailor your writing to accommodate a mixed audience: some of your readers may know a little about the topic while others know nothing at all. What should you include, and what should you leave out? This course teaches you some tried-and-true solutions to this perennial problem.
Take This Course If ...
- You have readers who lack technical expertise but must understand the information.
- Your readers often respond to your explanatory writing with questions about the basics, or about topics that you thought you already addressed.
- Your written instructions and explanations of technical issues are sometimes met with confusion.
- You want to learn how to take a step back from your technical know-how and write jargon-free explanations that your non-technical readers understand and appreciate.
The Writing Technical Explanations for Non-technical Readers course teaches the skills required to write technical explanations for readers who are not specialists in the subject and do not know the terminology. We teach you to convey your points methodically and structure your documents to guarantee easy comprehension.
When You Complete This Course ...
- You will know how to structure your writing for clarity and choose vocabulary your non-technical readers will understand.
- You will understand how to write for different levels of expertise in the same document.
- You’ll be able to streamline the work of communicating by anticipating questions from your intended audience.
How It Works
When you enroll, we give you access to all the online lessons and training materials. Each lesson builds on the lessons that precede it. We offer clear explanations for every part of our training and plenty of real-world examples of how to apply the skills you are learning.
Set Your Own Pace
You go at your own pace and submit assignments when you are ready. You don’t have to be online with other students or perform activities at specific times.
Your instructor evaluates all your work, coaches you through learning the skills, and gives you personalized feedback on what you are doing well and what still needs polish. You can contact your instructor at any time if you have questions about your training, business writing, or the English language.
When you finish the course within four months, you receive a graduation certificate.