Training in How to Proofread Your Own Business Writing
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations below for our most popular combinations.
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations in the right column for our most popular combinations.
Take this course if you are interested in learning how to proofread your own documents. If you proofread others' documents, such as proofreading in a law firm, corporate communications office, or publication, enroll in the Proofreading Training for People Who Proofread Others' Documents course. It is more rigorious in its requirements.This course will teach you how to proofread your documents as you go through a review of basic business usage (language, grammar, punctuation, spelling, word usage, and sentence structure). You will study examples and learn the rules that will help you proofread and correct your own writing. The course has four diagnostics in which you will proofread sample documents to show you have learned the skills.
- The course contains a pre-test so you can see what your level of understanding of English grammar is before you take the course.
- The course contains a post-test to let you see how much you've learned during the course.
- You will proofread four writing samples so your instructor can work with you to make sure you have learned how to proofread.
- Each lesson contains many examples to help you understand the grammar rules.
- The explanations are easy to understand and remember.
Course DescriptionWe developed this proofreading course to teach business writers how to proofread their documents before others see them. It goes through a review of basic business usage (language, grammar, punctuation, spelling, word usage, and sentence structure). It then provides examples of proofreading for each of the grammar rules. You will study examples and learn the rules that will help you proofread and correct your own writing. The course has four diagnostics in which you will proofread sample documents to show you have learned the skills.
When You Complete This Course...
- Proofread your business writing so it is perfect before others read it
- Have a better understanding of all the rules of English language, grammar, punctuation, spelling, word usage, and sentence structure
- See errors in your writing you would not have seen before you took this course
How It Works
When you finish the course within four months, you receive a graduation certificate.
Set Your Own Pace
You go at your own pace and submit assignments when you are ready. You don’t have to be online with other students or perform activities at specific times.
When you enroll, we give you access to all the online lessons and training materials. Each lesson builds on the lessons that precede it. We offer clear explanations for every part of our training and plenty of real-world examples of how to apply the skills you are learning.
Your instructor evaluates all your work, coaches you through learning the skills, and gives you personalized feedback on what you are doing well and what still needs polish. You can contact your instructor at any time if you have questions about your training, business writing, or the English language.
This course contains proofreading and grammar lessons in each of the following important areas of business usage:
- Proofreading Principles
- Using Active Voice
- Omissions, Additions, and Typos
- Number Accuracy
- Transposition Errors
- Word Division
- Other Punctuation (apostrophes, semicolons, question marks, italics, hyphens, parentheses, dashes)
- Special Punctuation (brackets, ellipses, $ symbol in charts, %)
- Confusing Word Pairs
- Subject/Verb Agreement
- Pronoun Agreement
- Using Defined Terms Consistently
- Formatting Correctly