Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations below for our most popular combinations.
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations in the right column for our most popular combinations.
Legal writing poses specific challenges for proofreaders.
Legal proofreaders must master the same skills that are needed to improve general business writing: checking for errors in grammar, punctuation, spelling, word usage, and sentence structure. However, legal proofreaders need additional skills, like correcting citations and the consistent use of defined names and legal terms.
Our course was developed in partnership with a large legal firm to provide a grounding in core proofreading techniques while emphasizing the skills that legal proofreaders need.
Take This Course If ...
- You need to learn the specific proofreading skills required for legal work while you brush up on general proofreading techniques.
- You understand English grammar and usage, but you are starting a job where legal proofreading will be an important part of your work.
- You have a clear idea of how to correct writing, but you're not always sure how to indicate what needs to be changed.
- You want to review the basic usage rules to be sure you’re finding all the errors in the legal writing you proofread.
This course begins with a review of general proofreading principles and techniques, including thorough explanations of the proofreading process. We thoroughly review basic English usage to help you spot the kind of errors that even experienced proofreaders may miss. Then we continue with a review of English usage and end with lessons on legal definitions and checking citations.
When You Complete This Course ...
- You will know the most important rules for correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, word usage, and sentence structure and how to identify them in the legal documents you proofread.
- You will have command of the basics of proofreading legal documents.
- You will be prepared to deal easily with the specific proofreading challenges of legal work.
- You will know how to proofread methodically for more accurate, correct results.
How It Works
When you enroll, we give you access to all the online lessons and training materials. Each lesson builds on the lessons that precede it. We offer clear explanations for every part of our training and plenty of real-world examples of how to apply the skills you are learning.
Set Your Own Pace
You go at your own pace and submit assignments when you are ready. You don’t have to be online with other students or perform activities at specific times.
Your instructor evaluates all your work, coaches you through learning the skills, and gives you personalized feedback on what you are doing well and what still needs polish. You can contact your instructor at any time if you have questions about your training, business writing, or the English language.
When you finish the course within four months, you receive a graduation certificate.