Introduction to This Email Writing Training
Organize your email so the reader understands the message and responds as you expect. Poorly organized e-mail is frustrating to the reader and results in confusion or miscommunication. Well-organized e-mail ensures the reader receives your message in a flow that will increase the reader’s understanding and impress the reader with your ability and organization.
Organize Your E-mail: Activities
Organize your e-mails so you present the information clearly and logically. Look at two of your e-mails that are a half-page to one-page long. Do your e-mails have the following?
- A salutation
- Context or background if appropriate
- Statement of the contents of the e-mail
- Breaks for each of the sections
- An organization you have chosen to present the points clearly
- Paragraphs to organize the blocks
- Broken out lists instead of lists in paragraphs
- Ordinals if you have parts in a sequence
- A closing with a summary of the important point or action
- A cordial ending
- Your contact information