Writing Computer User Manuals and System Documentation
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations below for our most popular combinations.
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations in the right column for our most popular combinations.
Good software documentation keeps your users productive.
When you write user manuals or system documentation, you are addressing your business’s most valuable asset: its users. The difference between good documentation and bad is the difference between happy customers and those who are frustrated and disinclined to use your product. It’s challenging to explain technical issues that you know inside out to users who are just getting started. This course will guide you through a task-oriented approach to writing manuals and documentation that will keep your users happy, engaged, and successful in using your software.
- Learn the task-oriented approach to writing for users
- Learn the best practices that make clear user-support materials
- Includes reader analysis, planning, writing, and testing the materials
- Learn to write online help, tutorials, quick references, and step-by-step instructions
- Learn to perform usability testing and revise to suit the users
The Writing Computer User Manuals and System Documentation course teaches the skills of writing computer software documentation. It teaches a task-oriented approach to developing user support material by teaching you to write from the end user's point of view. Good support materials lead to customer satisfaction and user success.
When You Complete This Course...
- You will understand how to put yourself in your users’ shoes and give them the support documentation they want and need.
- You will know how to break down user instructions into a clear, detailed, and step-by-step structure everyone can quickly understand.
- You will learn how to pair your written documentation with visual aids.
How It Works
When you enroll, we give you access to all the online lessons and training materials. Each lesson builds on the lessons that precede it. We offer clear explanations for every part of our training and plenty of real-world examples of how to apply the skills you are learning.
Set Your Own Pace
You go at your own pace and submit assignments when you are ready. You don’t have to be online with other students or perform activities at specific times.
Your instructor evaluates all your work, coaches you through learning the skills, and gives you personalized feedback on what you are doing well and what still needs polish. You can contact your instructor at any time if you have questions about your training, business writing, or the English language.
When you finish the course within four months, you receive a graduation certificate.
You may purchase the textbooks from a bookseller such as Amazon.com. You will also study online training materials.