Legal Writing Skills
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations below for our most popular combinations.
Save 10% off each course when you enroll in two or more courses. See suggested combinations in the right column for our most popular combinations.
Learn about writing legal documents in clear, plain English writing.
Legal proceedings and concepts are complicated. Legal writing often makes them more so. Legal documents are larded with the passive voice, unnecessary parentheticals, and overly complex constructions. Learn to write legal documents in clear, plain English, and keep your readers focused on your message instead of decoding your prose.
- Learn to assess your reader’s needs and likely responses to your writing
- Learn to choose content that will accomplish your objectives
- Learn how to organize and reorganize your documents
- Learn strategies to have the impact you want to have
- Learn how to write clear sentences using correct wording
- Learn how to write concisely while explaining fully
The Legal Writing Skills course trains anyone working in the law to write legal documents that are clear, especially attorneys and paralegals. We use Bryan Garner's Legal Writing in Plain English. You learn to write legal documents that are understandable, professional, and effective in achieving your goals.
The instructor assesses your activities and evaluations to see what you have learned and what still needs polish, and then coaches you through learning legal-writing skills.
When You Complete This Course...
- You will increase the impact of your writing by learning to outline and plan before you write.
- You will learn to write clear, powerful legal documents that make your point instead of hiding it.
How It Works
When you enroll, we give you access to all the online lessons and training materials. Each lesson builds on the lessons that precede it. We offer clear explanations for every part of our training and plenty of real-world examples of how to apply the skills you are learning.
Set Your Own Pace
You go at your own pace and submit assignments when you are ready. You don’t have to be online with other students or perform activities at specific times.
Your instructor evaluates all your work, coaches you through learning the skills, and gives you personalized feedback on what you are doing well and what still needs polish. You can contact your instructor at any time if you have questions about your training, business writing, or the English language.
When you finish the course within four months, you receive a graduation certificate.
You may purchase the textbook from a bookseller such as Amazon.com. You will also study online training materials.