- Business grammar course and business writing course discounted when taken together
- Training in the essential business writing best practices
- Grammar course that covers the major business grammar rules
- Instructor is a college of business PhD professor
- Extensive feedback and coaching for enhanced business writing training and grammar training
- Clear, easily understood business writing and grammar course lessons
- Three business writing training examinations
- Grammar course pre-tests and post-tests to test knowledge and progress
- Dozens of business writing interactive exercises
- Tuition reduced to $225 when the courses are taken together
Grammar Course and Business Writing Course Syllabuses:
These two courses are in combination because they complement each other. They are designed for busy business people who want to have essential business grammar training and business writing training with fewer writing activities. The courses contain training in only the most important skills a businessperson needs to know to be able to write clear, effective business documents with correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, word usage, and sentence structure. The two courses provide the perfect combination of business writing and grammar skills, so the Business Writing Center discounts the tuition if students enroll for both at the same time.
BWC85 Grammar Course Content
- Grammar Course Pre-test
- Lesson 1: Proofreading Principles
- Lesson 2: Using Active Voice
- Lesson 3: Number Accuracy
- Lesson 4: Transposition Errors
- Lesson 5: Abbreviations
- Lesson 6: Number Expression
- Lesson 7: Capitalization
- Lesson 8: Commas
- Lesson 9: Other Punctuation
- Lesson 10: Special Punctuation
- Lesson 11: Spelling
- Lesson 12: Confusing Words
- Lesson 13: Subject/Verb Agreement
- Lesson 14: Pronoun Agreement
- Lesson 15: Using Defined Terms Consistently
- Lesson 16: Citing Sources
- Grammar Course Post-test
BWC95 Business Writing Course Content
Pre-write Business Writing
- Follow email protocol.
- Choose strategies based on the goals and readers.
Prepare for Your Business Writing
- Learn how to overcome writer’s block.
- Prepare notes for your email, memo, letter, or report.
Organize Your Business Writing
- Have an organizational pattern in mind.
Introduce the Content
- For emails and memos, always write a clear, meaningful subject line.
- Write a clear, complete introduction in all your business writing.
- For emails, letters, and memos, write a cordial beginning or buffer.
- State the contents of your business writing.
- For business reports, state conclusions and recommendations in the introduction.
Write Clear Business Documents
- Write the explanations in blocks.
- Check each block for focus.
- Check each block for completeness.
- Use headings to open blocks.
- Create lists.
Write Clear, Complete Explanations in Your Business Writing
- Write to build conclusions in the reader’s mind.
- For reports, write clear, complete, relevant explanations.
Write Conclusions in Business Writing that Have Impact
- Write a conclusion that achieves your goals.
Write Clear, Effective Sentences, Paragraphs, and Words
- Use paragraphs to organize business writing.
- Write concisely.
- Write clear, simple, active-voice sentences.
- For reports, write clearly and simply for non-technical readers.
- Use words the reader will understand.
Prepare a Polished, Correct Final Draft
- Use your spell checker and grammar checker.
- Format email to be readable.